Internet Radio drop outs. Virgin Media worse than other ISP?

Home Foren General Discussion Internet Radio drop outs. Virgin Media worse than other ISP?

Dieses Thema enthält 22 Antworten und 6 Teilnehmer. Es wurde zuletzt aktualisiert von  kerraddoo vor 6 Monate, 3 Wochen.

Ansicht von 8 Beiträgen - 16 bis 23 (von insgesamt 23)
  • Autor

kerraddoo
    Teilnehmer
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies 6
    • Total posts: 6

Excellent thanks.

Dave

stewpot
    Teilnehmer
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies 8
    • Total posts: 9

BBC Radio 3 HD has again been replaced by an unstable low quality stream. This unreliable service from your supplier is just not acceptable. Ironically the Cadence App seems to have been more stable since the ios update on my iphone and I have had a couple of sessions where I haven’t needed to restart the app 2 or 3 times.

Anonym
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies 102
    • Total posts: 112

Yes we have noticed that the BBC R3 stream is currently lower resolution. Apparently this is being caused by some procedural changes from the BBC, where they are trying to prevent access to the higher resolution feed outside of the UK. We’re working on it, and anticipating that the HD feed for UK users will be restored shortly.

RichardTurpin
    Teilnehmer
    • Replies 7
    • Total posts: 8

Just in time to save me writing to Beeb, thanks Chris.

RichardTurpin
    Teilnehmer
    • Replies 7

It’s me again after a long gap Chris et al.. I didn’t want to waste your time with continual updates and so decided to monitor the problem for awhile.
    The annoying drop outs continue. I miss part of most broadcasts on R3, but I think that I have worked out what it correlates with. It was terrible during the soccer World Cup, much worse than usual when matches were being broadcast and it otherwise tends to be bad at ca. 18.30 to 19.00 weekdays and 18.00 to 20.00 weekends.

I do not subscribe to cable TV, unlike most Virgin users, and I have 50MBs-1 broadband. Hence I should be alright as even 230 kbp/s radio should only take a tiny bit of my bandwidth. It is fairly clearly though that in order to maintain and buffer video, Virgin are compromising my radio. I have not bothered to contact them yet as for now they have a monopoly. My building is wired for cable only and they are the only supplier, hence if I ‚phone I will likely just get a load of lies or bullshit, or, more likely, somebody who doesn’t even understand the issue.

Things are about to change though. Last week BT cabled the area too. They have not launched the new service yet, but will soon I imagine. If so, it will be worth my while transferring to BT I think, to see if there is then an improvement.

zippy
    Teilnehmer
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies 12
    • Total posts: 14

I’d say it’s worth giving BT a go.
    I’ve used BT for some years now, both broadband and Youview.
    I get 26-36 Mbps speed and since my recent firmware update have had no dropouts, and BBC R3 is showing the higher resolution AAC feed as it should

RichardTurpin
    Teilnehmer
    • Replies 7

Thanks Zippy. I get 50 to 60, which is why drop-outs are so annoying. I think that I will try BT as and when they launch cable (web-site says ‚things in your area are changing, watch this space‘, or words to that effect).

I have not updated to 4.3 yet as SSAV here want a couple of weeks notice as well as £30 to do it. It is just a pity that one cannot DIY, as I can with other devices like my Arcam D33 DAC (see below for tale of woe*).

* Often, firmware updates requires Window (‚turns your laptop into a craptop) and I use Macs and so I bought an old HP Pro laptop from a charity shop to update Arcam USB firmware, only to find battery no good. So, I bought a new battery. I then found that I can’t update from Windows 7, what is says on Arcam web-site not withstanding, so I buy a copy of Windows 8, only for the HD to fail while I was trying to install it. So, I buy a used HD… total cost of all this thus far £150 + postages. It would have been cheaper to pay SSAV to update it. I will hopefully be able to re-sell the Craptop one day though. I have bought Parallels Windows emulator I suppose, but I don’t want Windows on my Macs.

kerraddoo
    Teilnehmer
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies 6
    • Total posts: 6

Just to update from my perspective.Stream X2 software updated. No issues since. Many thanks

Ansicht von 8 Beiträgen - 16 bis 23 (von insgesamt 23)

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.

ENTWICKELT UND HERGESTELLT IN ENGLAND