NAS

Schlagwörter: ,

Dieses Thema enthält 4 Antworten und 4 Teilnehmer. Es wurde zuletzt aktualisiert von  Geoff vor 1 Jahr.

Ansicht von 5 Beiträgen - 1 bis 5 (von insgesamt 5)
  • Autor
    Wallace
    Wallace
    Teilnehmer
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies 0
    • Total posts: 3

I think this is in the right forum! Just started to look at a NAS drive for my iMac, anyone got any good or bad experiences? Any do’s or don’t’s?

Geoff
    Teilnehmer
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies 2

Sorry for the slow response, I am new to the Forum.

Purchased a Lyric to replace my Cyrus separates – Disc/DacMaster, Cyrus III amp and three PSX-R’s. It is all working very well now but took a little while to get the right set up. I have a fairly powerful iMac along with plenty of storage, so thought initially I would use the Mac computer as a source for my digital library. I did get it working but there were too many drawbacks. A NAS drive is definitely the way to go.

Spent a long tome researching different NAS drives. Apple are promoting drives by Promise which are probably very good, but expensive and with limited functionality. I have very happily settled on Synology, for the following reasons:

1. A huge range of models from basic single and twin bay through to high end multi bay for business use.

2. You purchase with whatever drives you want (I used Amazon). The drives are very easy to install. So you get the model and capacity that you need rather than being limited to what is available.

3. The software works very well, easy to navigate. For your purposes, you would install the Audio Station. The point to consider here is that a NAS drive is effectively another computer.

4. You can also install the mobile DS Audio app onto your iPad or other mobile device. This is vastly better in many respects than Cadence. I am seeing lots of criticism of Cadence. I find myself juggling between DS Audio and the Cyrus remote to directly control the volume.

I am using the Synology DS218play with twin 2TB WD Red drives. You may also want to consider the DS218+ with more processing power, should Cyrus ever become Roon Ready. 2TB capacity is a bit of an overkill but hard drive capacity is cheap.

I hope that this is useful.

GeoffT

simon
    Teilnehmer
    • Replies 2

Wallace,

I would suggest either a Synology or Qnap NAS.
    They are the goto brands.

I would suggest running your server on the iMac and then you don’t need a high spec’ed NAS CPU.
    And I would seconds Goeff’s recommendation on the WD RED drives.

I have a 2 bay NAS (QNAP) with 2 x 4TB WD RED drives mirrored (so I have redundancy if one drive dies).
    Yes overkill for Audio but I have Video and other media as well.

Cheers!

stewpot
    Teilnehmer
    • Replies 8
    • Total posts: 9

I am rather late coming to this discussion. I have a WDMyCloud NAS drive that is completely unusable as a source for my Stream XP2. Cadence on my iPhone renders all the track / album information as a mush of over-written text and it impossible read any of it. Only the „folder“ setting for the NAS drive lets me find anything but then the NAS drive software ignores track numbers and plays files in the wrong alphabetical order. In addition, Cadence disconnects from the Stream XP2 every few minutes despite a strong WiFi signal and a stable wired connection. If the Cyrus rep is in my vicinity I would be pleased for him/her to come and I can demonstrate how bad Cadence is. I am left thinking that purchasing a top of the range Cyrus streamer was an expensive mistake.

Geoff
    Teilnehmer
    • Replies 2

Hi Stewpot,

It sounds as though the metadata in your music files has been altered. Since writing my first post on 15th May, I have now ripped my complete CD collection and also made quite a few high res downloads. I find myself amending the metadata to get everything the way that I want, but you do have to be careful otherwise tracks can become garbled. I use software from dBpoweramp for CD ripping and amending metadata.

Cadence does work on my iPad but is such a poor experience that I have given up on it. The Synology DS Audio app works really well with the Synology NAS drive. I use the Cyrus remote to switch on/off, adjust volume and occasionally access internet radio. I could also set up internet radio on DS audio, just haven’t got round to it.

I am a long term Cyrus user (25 years) but the abysmal control situation has made me consider jumping ship and changing to Naim. Having said that, everything about the Synology NAS drive and control app works really well, so will probably stick with it.

Geoff

Ansicht von 5 Beiträgen - 1 bis 5 (von insgesamt 5)

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.

ENTWICKELT UND HERGESTELLT IN ENGLAND