Internet Radio drop outs. Virgin Media worse than other ISP?

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  kerraddoo 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

RichardTurpin
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies 7
    • Total posts: 8

I have been experiencing quite a lot of internet radio drop-outs recently with my Stream X Sig., several per day and sometimes one after the other repeatedly. Although I normally experience them on R3, that is only because that is what I listen to most, but it happens with Linn and others.

It is a new problem. I used to get maybe one or two irreversible drop-outs (server disconnections) a week perhaps until a week or two ago. Now it is becoming a nuisance and I fear for where it is going. Is it going to get worse and worse?

I use Virgin Media Cable, have no choice. They have a monopoly in much newer apartment property here, i.e. anything under 20 years old. Chris says the VM has had problems with UPnP servers and I can see that from searches online, except that my problem is new, whereas the online record goes back quite a few years.

I am inclined to give V?M some feedback, ie. a bollocking, but suspect they will just blame the radio ISP and hence do not want to go off half cock.

Does anyone have similar experience, insights, comments… Any comments welcome but am particularly interested in drop-out likelihood by ISP I think.

I seem to be able to solve my problem by re-booting my cable router, although it is hard to prove that, one would need to follow up repeated disconnections with Streamer only reboots ½ the time and Streamer plus Router reboots the other half on many occasions to be sure.

VM are very good at offering free* max. download speed increases and then increasing their charges three months later. I am not at all sure that my actual mean speed varies. I get ca. 45Mb/s +/- 15 Mb/s in practice.

Anyway feedback welcome. Thanks.
    (* they invite one to sign up for a faster speed ‘for free’. Since ‘free’ means ‘for nothing’, I conclude that ‘for free’ must mean ‘for for nothing’. That is meaningless of course, hence one guesses that they mean ‘free’, but feel a need to add ambiguity. Some Americans say ‘for free’. Don’t make it right. It is of course an abuse of language – don’t get old!)

• This topic was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  RichardTurpin.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  RichardTurpin. Reason: typos

recce
    Participant
    • Replies 4
    • Total posts: 5

Hi Richard,
    I posted a similar topic here:

"Unable to browse" problem (XP2)

I’m not so expert, may be they are related problems ?

Ciao
    Enrico

kerraddoo
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies 6
    • Total posts: 6

Hi – did you get a resolution for this? I have the same problem – unable to browse. I too have VM, 200Mb so should have no bandwidth issue. Same history – occasional drop out, now permanent. No issue with my Roberts Internet radio etc, etc.
    I’ve never upgraded the software on my Stream X2. Considering that but then, of course, the n-remote will cease to work. No issues with streaming tracks from NAS drive.
    Effectively it means my Cyrus Stream X2 is no longer fit for the purpose for which it was purchased – not good news.

Regards

RichardTurpin
    Participant
    • Replies 7

Hello, no I didn’t. It continues to be an annoyance but not to the extent where I have got round to giving VM a bollocking (they will just blame everyone else, I am sure, although I and fairly sure that it is them).

I don’t have another Internet Radio and so can’t compare.

I am not sure of the implications of running old firmware other than the remote issue. Do you not have a smartphone or tablet? Cadence works well I find. Does it mean that you are using Cyrus’ old radio provider too perhaps? If so, then you might need to update firmware perhaps, but Chris will tell you, I am sure. It is just a pity that one cannot do it oneself and not just because of the dealer charge, but because of the fuss of finding a dealer who will do it and carting the unit both ways. It is done via a USB connection inside the case, I am told.

PS Mind you, having the option of updating firmware oneself is not necessarily straightforward. I have an Arcam D33 DAC for which one can, but only if one uses MS Windows (which I don’t: ‘Windows turns your laptop into a craptop’). So, I bought an old S/H Dell with Win 8 only to find that I can’t update it using Win 8, or, rather, I can now having nagged Arcam and their developers for 4 months for a work-around (they said on their website ‘Win 8.0 and above’, which turned out not to be true).

recce
    Participant
    • Replies 4
    • Total posts: 5

Hi,
    by my side the problem no longer exist.
    After a few days the radio server has become usable withou problems.
    It seems there are possible issues on TuneIn side, Cyrus is checking.

kerraddoo
    Participant
    • Replies 6

Thanks for this, both of you.

I have an iPad and smart phone and quite like the Cadence App just seems a shame to lose the remote. Cadence App works fine apart from unable to browse issue. Will probably bite the bullet and have the firmware updated. If still having issues after that then I’ll assume it’s down to either Virgin, which at this stage I doubt, or TuneIn. interesting to hear Cyrus are checking that aspect. How will you know the result of that?

interesting that suppliers are charging for the upgrade. I purchased from Creative Audio in Shrewsbury. When I asked they said they would do it FOC. Sensible attitude, bit of a trek for me but a good excuse for a day out in Shrewsbury.

I’ll keep you posted on progress.

Cheers,

Dave

RichardTurpin
    Participant
    • Replies 7

Thanks Dave,

I did not buy mine from my local dealer, so that is why they charge, I imagine. I still think that it is VM.

Regards,

Richard

stewpot
    Participant
    • Replies 8
    • Total posts: 9

I have a Stream XP2 Qx that was experiencing severe dropouts and disconnections on BBC Radio 3 HD. The problem was resolved by the firmware update until Friday when it disappeared altogether and was replaced a day later by a low quality 128kps stream with abysmal sound and glitches. I can still get it on my PC but cannot find a way of casting that stream to the XP2. I have reported the problem to Chris. All very frustrating in addition the deficiencies of the Cadence app as the main reason for buying a high quality streamer was to have high quality R3.

stewpot
    Participant
    • Replies 8

PS I have just received the following reply from Chris: It does appear that BBC Radio 3 has gone back down to 128kbps on our service. Our supplier is looking into it and we’d expect it to resume in HD quality once they have fixed the issue.

Anonymous
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies 102
    • Total posts: 112

Hi stewpot,

Our supplier tells us that normal service has been resumed. You should have BBC R3 in glorious HD once more.

kerraddoo
    Participant
    • Replies 6

Hi Chris – you would appear to be the font of all knowledge with respect to this issue – unable to browse -. If you follow the thread you will see what my system spec is and the issues I’ve had. How do you advise I resolve the issue? Currently have done nothing.

Many thanks,

Dave

stewpot
    Participant
    • Replies 8

BBC Radio 3 HD is back OK. I hope your supplier is aware of the annoyance and frustration that it has caused and that it’s actions reflect badly on Cyrus.

Anonymous
    • Replies 102

Hello Dave,

Looking back through the thread, am I right in thinking that you are getting an Unable To Browse message when you select radio? If so, I suspect you are on an older firmware version which is using TuneIn radio. We’ve been forced to stop supporting them a few days after the service blacked out for weeks, but a firmware update to the latest spec will switch to a new supplier and resolve it. Full details on this news post.

kerraddoo
    Participant
    • Replies 6

Thanks Chris – makes sense and yes I have a Stream X2 with no updates. looking at the link and then checking on firmware updates it mentions that earlier streamers will not be compatible with v4.3 – the current upgrade – without a hardware upgrade. It mentions Stream X and XP. Does this also apply to Stream X2? ie will it need a hardware upgrade as well as firmware upgrade?

I will go back to the supplier (Creative Audio, Shrewsbury) for the firmware upgrade and go from there. it will be a few weeks before I do that but will update you ref resolution or not.

Many thanks,

Dave

Anonymous
    • Replies 102

When we mention early streamers, we’re referring to version1 streamers (Stream X, Stream XP, Streamline). Once you have a version 2 streamer (which you do if you have the Stream X2), then they are fully compatible with the current firmware. Updating your firmware will add lots of new features, although you will lose n-remote function, but the Cadence app will become your main control point.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Designed & Engineered in the United Kingdom